Discussions between professors and students on topics were hard to follow visually and metaphorically.
Professors where currently holding discussions on various topics in the courses using a bulletin board. I studied this particular bulletin board and all of it's functionalities and what made it difficult to understand what needed to be improved upon.
The discussion tool facilities asynchronous discussions by allowing instructors to post topics for dialog and allowing those very instructors and their students of a particular course to post, respond and reply to the topic's thread.
I pitched to create an entirely new interface instead of intergrating what they currently had into the new myFranklin4. I studied other interfaces that allowed large groups of people to discuss and share thoughts. Interfaces like Facebook and YouTube played a heavy roll in the structure of my interface. There were no paper wireframes to start with in this project. I went straight to Photoshop to create the look and feel.
- Contextual Research
- User Experience Research & Analysis
- Rapid Prototyping
- Visual Design
- Code in HTML & CSS
- Stakeholder Interviews
- 2 Designers
- 2 Project Managers
The initial bulletin board wasn't aesthetically pleasing. Discussions were hard to follow visually and metaphorically. The nesting of comments was never-ending and the conversations resembled that of a group of high school females jumping from topic to topic in a matter of seconds.
Build & Test
I worked with another UX designer to create the front-end code the goal to deliver a workable prototype at the end of each sprint; we were constantly building upon the minimum viable product till it was complete.
Discussion Tool feature model
Phase One | Rapid Prototyping
I went straight to Photoshop to create the look and feel. The teams and I went thru each screen I had created and analyzed, added, and reformed the workflow of creating and participating in a discussion.
Phase Two | Rapid Prototyping
It was an iterative design process where I was delivering the graphical interface every couple of days to the team. Once we had settled upon the flow, we started to build the tool.